Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We brought Boss to the clinic last

Customer Question

.We brought Boss to the clinic last Friday. They can do most of the test recommended (abdominal X-ray, abdominal ultrasound and blood profile)
They cannot do clotting profile. If really need to we have to go to another hospital which is about***** They do have a platelet profile test available. Is this platelet sufficient for now ?
Results For Abdominal Xray :
We have yet to pick up the written report but this is what we were told.
All looks normal except for the bladder which looks quite small and therefore they cannot look inside the bladder to see if there are any stones.
They had asked us to try and let boss drink lots of water today and bring her in for another abdominal X-ray. What do you think of this ?
Blood profile.
Test Results Reference Interval
GLU 88mg/dL 77 -150
UREA 21 mg/dL 7-29
** CREA 1.3mg/dL 0.3 - 1.2 HIGH
PHOS 5.5 mg/dL 5.1-10.4
CA 11.0mg 7.8 - 12.6
TP 5.9 g/dL 4.8 - 7.2
ALB 2.7 g/dL 4.8 - 7.2
GLOB 3.1 g/dL 2.3 - 3.8
ALT 57 U/L 8 - 75
ALKP 66 U/L 46-337
TBIL <0.1 mg/dL 0.0 - 0.8
CHOL 215 mg/dL 100 - 401
AMYL 654 U/L 300 - 1300
TEST RESULTS REFERENCE Interval
RBC 6.86 M/uL 4.70 - 8.50
** HCT 55.6% 32.0 - 55.0 HIGH
HGB 16.3 g/dL 10.3 - 18.0
** MCV 81.1 fL 60.0 - 77.0 HIGH
MCH 23.8 pg 18.5 - 30.0
** MCHC 29.4 g/dL 30.0 - 37.5 LOW
RDW 14.8% 14.7 - 17.9
% RETIC 0.7%
RETIC 49.3 K/uL 10.0 - 110.0
WBC 13.26 5.50 - 16.90
% NEU 72.6 %
% LYM 15.7%
% MONO 9.3%
% EOS 2.2%
% BASO 0.2%
NEU 9.62 K/uL 3.00 - 12.00
LYM 2.08 K/ul 0.05 -4.90
MONO 1.24 K/uL 0.30 -2.00
EOS 0.29 K/uL 0.10 - 1.49
BASO 0.02 K/uL 0.00 - 0.10
** PLT 148 K/uL 175 - 500 LOW
MPV 7.8 fL
PDW 15.6 %
PCT 0.12 %
There are also some graphs but I don't see any attachment button to attach the graph
** The ones with the asterics are the HIGH and LOW. What does this HIGH and LOW results mean for these five items ? How severe are they ?
What should we do about it **
** As for the abdominal ultrasound they cant do it last Friday as the bladder appears small in the Xray. They had asked us to ask Boss to drink
lots of water and to bring her in again today to do this ultrasound. ** What do you think of this ?
Thank you very much once again Dr.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes please. I need an answer for the questions which I have asked. Thank you
Thank you, ***** ***** continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Camille-Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,We brought Boss to the clinic again to do a bladder ultrasound . The Doctor has found (a) struvite crystals in the bladder & (b) mucus in the bladder.The questions we have now is :
(1) What is the best possible way to treat this condition where my puppy's bladder has struvite & mucus ?
Secondly, with regards ***** ***** blood test results as below :Blood profile.
Test Results Reference Interval
GLU 88mg/dL 77 -150
UREA 21 mg/dL 7-29
** CREA 1.3mg/dL 0.3 - 1.2 HIGH **
PHOS 5.5 mg/dL 5.1-10.4
CA 11.0mg 7.8 - 12.6
TP 5.9 g/dL 4.8 - 7.2
ALB 2.7 g/dL 4.8 - 7.2
GLOB 3.1 g/dL 2.3 - 3.8
ALT 57 U/L 8 - 75
ALKP 66 U/L 46-337
TBIL <0.1 mg/dL 0.0 - 0.8
CHOL 215 mg/dL 100 - 401
AMYL 654 U/L 300 - 1300TEST RESULTS REFERENCE Interval
RBC 6.86 M/uL 4.70 - 8.50
** HCT 55.6% 32.0 - 55.0 HIGH **
HGB 16.3 g/dL 10.3 - 18.0
** MCV 81.1 fL 60.0 - 77.0 HIGH **
MCH 23.8 pg 18.5 - 30.0
** MCHC 29.4 g/dL 30.0 - 37.5 LOW **
RDW 14.8% 14.7 - 17.9
% RETIC 0.7%
RETIC 49.3 K/uL 10.0 - 110.0
WBC 13.26 5.50 - 16.90
% NEU 72.6 %
% LYM 15.7%
% MONO 9.3%
% EOS 2.2%
% BASO 0.2%
NEU 9.62 K/uL 3.00 - 12.00
LYM 2.08 K/ul 0.05 -4.90
MONO 1.24 K/uL 0.30 -2.00
EOS 0.29 K/uL 0.10 - 1.49
BASO 0.02 K/uL 0.00 - 0.10
** PLT 148 K/uL 175 - 500 LOW **
MPV 7.8 fL
PDW 15.6 %
PCT 0.12 %These are 5 items with the asterisks were highlighted in red in the report. (2) What does that 5 items means ? (3) This 5 items, is it related to the struvite & mucus issue or it is a different issue ? (4) How can we fix this.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, no one has actually replied my questions and I have actually paid for this.. My dog has struvite stones and mucus in the bladder. Can I know what is the best way to treat the struvite stones and especially the mucus because a lot of articles in the website stresses about the removal of the stones but very little mentioned about the mucus. My question is how do I remove the mucus and the struvite stones ? Is surgery really necessary ? What are other options that can cure both struvite and mucus without any surgery ???? Thanks
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry you have waited so long for an answer. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. I apologize; I did not seen your question earlier. I hope I can still be of help. I am sorry to hear you are worried about Boss.
The lining of the bladder has mucous glands, which always produce small amounts of mucus. When stones are in the bladder, more mucus is produced, to protect the bladder lining from being irritated by the stones. Once you treat for the bladder stones, the mucus will resolve on its own.
There are diets that are designed to dissolve struvite stones, and I always try them before doing surgery. Royal Canin Urinary SO diet, and Hill's CD and SD diets are the ones I have used.
If a urine culture has not been done, I would consider doing one to check for infection which often occurs with stones.
Your blood tests look good. These are the asterisked ones:
CREA is creatinine, an indication of kidney function. Since 1.2 is normal, 1.3 is pretty close to normal. Since the other kidney value (UREA) is normal, I am not too worried. If a urinalysis shows good urine concentration and no protein in the urine I would monitor this and if it continues to rise I would start to worry about her kidney function.
HCT, hematocrit, is one measure of red blood cells and it is .6 higher than normal. This probably indicates mild dehydration. She is definitely not anemic since it is high, and that is good. If there were a problem with kidney function, she might be anemic (low red blood cells).
MCV is the average size of the red blood cells and hers are a little larger than normal. This may indicate her bone marrow is over active, and pushing out extra red blood cells (new, freshly made red blood cells are a little larger than one already in circulation). Not something I would be too worried about; could be normal for her. All these "normal" values are a "bell shaped curve" and there will always be some individuals that are outide the curve.
MCHC is the average amount of hemoglobin in a red blood cell, and hers is a little low but only .6 low. Not too worrying to me. SInce her MCH is normal and these two are similar, I note it but don't think anything needs to be treated.
PLT is low, that is her platelet (clotting cell) count. Platelets naturally stick together, and can be hard to count. Usually there is a comment on the report, something like a technologist review of the slide reveals normal platelet numbers. If I get a low platelet count and there is no comment like this, I ask the lab to do that before worrying that the actual platelet numbers are low.
None of these have anything to do with the bladder stones, and actually none would concern me very much if this were my own dog. The "abnormals" are so close to normal that they don't worry me. I might recheck the CREA in a couple weeks, and be concerned if it were going up. I would concentrate on getting the stones to dissolve and see how the numbers look after that.
Please let me know what else I can answer or help with. I will be online an hour or so and then have to go to work at my clinic and will be back online later.