Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have an old black lab and he has tumor at the back of his right ear. Last week I had to

Customer Question

I have an old black lab and he has tumor at the back of his right ear. Last week I had to go pick up my brother from a class and when I got back my dog's ear was huge and swollen and still is right now and we don't know why
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Is the swelling on the floppy part (pinnae) of the ear?
2- Is he scratching the ear?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes its dwelling on the entire floppy part and it looks like a marshmallow and he isn't scratchin it but it is weighing his head down
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Can you post a picture here on this thread?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get it to upload bit the ear is very puffed up
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the swelling you are seeing is called an "Aural Hematoma." This when the pinnae (floppy part of the ear) becomes filled with blood secondary to damage to the vessels as a result of any form of trauma. He could have shake his head and damage the vessels. Or, it is also possible the tumor is interfering the blood supply of the pinnae (floppy part).
Treatment involves draining the blood and leaving a drain in place for the blood to drain. If the hematoma is not treated the body will eventually reabsorb the blood but the ear may become disfigured (cauliflower like). This is not a life threatening condition, but, should be seen by your family veterinarian for drain placement. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can recommend for you to try at home; do not try to drain the ear yourself.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter