Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My 2 year old Rhodesian ridgeback has a red belly like he is

Customer Question

My 2 year old Rhodesian ridgeback has a red belly like he is sunburned. He constantly lays on one side in the sun and the exposed side is definitely redder than the opposite but both are red.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Dr. Loretta isn't available and I'd like to help you and Gunnar. If you prefer to wait for Dr. Loretta just let me know and I'll opt out and hopefully alert her. . .if she is around right now.
Dr. Barbara
I need to be offline for about 1 hour, but will return after that.
Gunnar does need to have sunblock applied when he is exposing his belly between 10 AM and 4 PM. He's prone to the same cancers we are. It sounds tho' like he has a probable allergic reaction occurring also. Is he itchy at all?
I'll return soon to get your answer and to continue.
Thanks,
Dr. Barbara
Just to let you know, I am back. Hope to hear from you.
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is not itchy.
Given the breed has an African legacy I am surprised that he would get sunburn...is that typical with Rhodesian Ridgebacks?
Any color of skin can be greatly affected by UVA and UVB rays from the sun, but it sounds like Gunnar doesn't have highly pigmented skin on his belly.
If this was from any kind of allergy, then he would likely be quite itchy.
Does he have any sores or lesions? Scabs or pustules?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes his belly is not very pigmented.
No lesions or sores.We feed him Costco "no grain dogfood" along with our two other dogs. This food has dramatically improved the health of our other two older dogs so I would be surprised if that is the issue.I do give him lots of dog treats which are highly died and could be allergy inducing. I will lay off those and see if an improvement occurs.
I really don't think it is an allergy if he isn't itchy. It does seem like sunburn. A good diagnostic would be for you to apply sunblock daily, keep him out of the sun between 10 AM and 4 PM, and monitor him for itchiness and lesions.
This thread will stay open even after a rating (always appreciated!), so I'd like to hear how his belly skin is doing over the next few days with sunblock on. Of course, if anything else develops regarding his belly skin right away, please let me know.
Thanks,
Dr. Barbara