Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My pit puppy is experiencing redish discharge from her vaginal area. Been lethargic f

Customer Question

My pit bull puppy is experiencing redish discharge from her vaginal area. Been lethargic for two days
She is a proxy 10 weeks old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I am sorry to hear that your little one Cali has a reddish vaginal discharge and seems lethargic.
She is too young for a heat cycle.
While puppies, especially females, can get urinary tract infections I would not expect her to be so lethargic. Pups with simple urinary tract infections are usually feeling pretty good, they are usually just urinating more frequently, urinating small amounts, straining and may have more accidents.
Is it possible that she got into anything she should not have, like a toxin? Rodenticides that are anti-coagulants can cause internal bleeding, including into the urinary tract and if they bleed enough they can become quite anemic, hypotensive and lethargic. Are her gums nice and pink in color or pale?
If you look at her abdomen do you see any evidence of bruising?
Whatever is going on with Cali an emergency veterinary visit today is best. She is still a baby and babies have no reserves and their immune systems aren't as strong as an adults.
If you absolutely cannot have her seen today then keep her very quiet and get lots of fluids into her. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine, as are small amounts of low salt beef or chicken broth. You can give pedialyte to replace electrolytes too, if she isn't eating well.
If she isn't eating offer a bland diet mix of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK maybe I was mistaken about being lethargic. She still has her spunk. Seems to be eating ok. I don't think she has been exposed to any toxins. Our yard doesn't have grass only dirt. Although she is an inside pup she does go out to potty and play with my much bigger dog. He is half pit/ mastiff. Gentle giant u can say. He is 3 years old and has been fixed. Is there anything else it could be? He likes her.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Great!, I am pleased to hear that she isn't lethargic. I was pretty worried about her as I'm sure that you could tell. I am pleased to hear that a toxin is not likely.
If she is eating, drinking and playing today then just push fluids heavily and have her examined by her regular veterinarian tomorrow. This may be a simple lower urinary tract infection which a short course of antibiotics will help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, please let me know how things go for her, thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. What dosage of antibiotics should she take. Penicillin for dogs? She is about 10 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, glad to help.
I don't normally recommend plain penicillin for urinary tract infections as its duration of action is pretty short so it must be given 3-4 times a day, and the bacteria that cause urinary tract infections seem to be more resistant to plain penicillin. Plain penicillin seems to be best reserved for some respiratory tract infections and other special case infections.
I usually recommend Amoxicillin, which is a longer acting, broader spectrum antibiotic or Clavamox for more resistant infections. Both are in the penicillin family but are prescription drugs because of the concern about overuse of antibiotics and breeding resistant infections. She should see her family veterinarian anyway as there may be other predisposing factors that contribute to a UTI in such a young pup that need to be addressed.