Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Type your Dog Veterinary question here. Hya me German Shepard

Customer Question

Type your Dog Veterinary question here. Hya me German Shepard puppy of 8 months is very uncomfortable n carnt get settled I think she coming into season but she woke up this morning n couldn't put weight on her back left leg she she not as flighty as usual do u think we will b better of getting her checked out at vets or do u think she might have cramp n traveling up her legs Iv checked her n she not in anypsin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear Charlie is not feeling well today. I suspect the leg lameness is likely related to her discomfort versus coming into heat
Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the leg in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.
You can also do light circular massage up and down the leg to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.
When going out to go potty please leash her and use a towel in the groin to assist her in moving and minimize possible further injury to the leg. If she is having difficulty settling you can try some benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help sedate her a little and allow her to rest. I would avoid over the counter pain medications as it will interfere with what the veterinarian will dispense tomorrow when they open. But if she is going several hours without resolve and she cannot get comfortable or lay down even with the benadryl I would consider a veterinary er today to give her relief.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get Charlie comfortable soon, truly.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!