Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

I have a baby blue pit . Her mother wouldnt nurse any of

Customer Question

I have a baby blue pit bull. Her mother wouldnt nurse any of her pups. The puppy is around 3.5 weeks old and the man that gave her to me was feeding her canned soft dog food but only the gravy off of it. Can I get her the puppy formula and nurse her with that. She is still blind her eyes have only been open a couple days. And she still has really hard time walking.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Poor little Noel, but very lucky to have you!
As you realize, giving her just the gravy from canned food would not provide the necessary nutrients to her.
Puppy formula would be far better and I would switch her to that. I'd start by mixing it 30% milk replacer and 70% gravy, the first day, and gradually work towards 100% milk.
It isn't unusual for puppies to swim more than walk. I suspect that since her eyes just opened that she is closer to 2.5 weeks. Hopefully, her problems aren't from malnutrition.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Noel. How is everything going?

Dr. Barbara