Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Just put out ant bait traps. My 80 pound female Doberman got

Customer Question

Just put out ant bait traps. My 80 pound female Doberman got into them. Active ingredents listed on package are: Indoxacarb @ 0.05%
Other Ingredents @ 99.95%
Product is marketed as Ant Shield by Spectracide.
Huston, do we have a problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
The good news is that the amount of indoxacarb in this product is not enough to harm a big girl like Shadow. The primary concern with these products is if the packaging is ingested in any way they can lead to a foreign body obstruction. Unfortunately we cannot induce vomiting if this is the case because the plastic pieces can cause more damage coming back up so monitoring and doing some basic precautions hopefully will minimize this risk if the packaging/ plastic was ingested.
At the first signs of vomiting it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have them evaluated/ x-rayed
1.) Feed 3 pieces of bread now
2.) Take a nice walk to help move the plastic through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion
3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread. The bread is used to help bulk up the plastic to hopefully push the them through and protect the edges from causing damage
4.) Monitor for signs of the plastic coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours
5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the plastic through the intestinal tract
This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if they pass on their own
Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with today.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Recovered all the packaging so were good there. She's gonna like the bread treatment.
Thanks for bringing peace of mind.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
OK great, glad there is no risk of obstruction. With the product you may see some signs of upset stomach depending on how many were ingested which may include nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass), vomiting a few times, diarrhea so if this resolves within 24 hours you should be alright but if it continues then unfortunately a veterinary exam will be warranted. A low risk but definitely best to know what to monitor for!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Shadow. Is she still doing alright after ingesting the ant baits earlier? I would love an update when you are able.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shadow didn't puke and made lots of poop. Good to go. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update, I am sorry that Shadow didn't vomit but glad to hear that there were no ill effects from the ingestion :)
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Scott,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shadow. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman