Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My 7 year old golden doodle has started barking, whining and

Customer Question

My 7 year old golden doodle has started barking, whining and shaking and won't go into the kitchen. never had these behaviors before
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Female golden doodle. She has never had any health issues or behavioral issues. Our house is one story with rugs in part and hardwood in the other. She refuses to go beyond the carpeting into the hardwood portion of the house, shakes and whines with her tail between her legs. She just came back to the carpeting and now fell asleep. The other night she woke up 4 times in the middle of the night barking and whining, which she has never done before. Should I be concerned
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. With her change in behavior I think you should be concerned. Something is going on for her that you may be able to remedy.
My thoughts are: 1. She may have some joint or back pain that causes her to slip more on the hardwood floors which hurts her. 2. She may have something causing her to need to urinate more often or in a greater amount. Have you noticed her need to urinate more or drink more water? 3. Are her claws overly long that makes her feel unstable on the hardwood floors. . .slips more?
One other thought. . .often fleas will wake up a dog making them itch. Have you seen any fleas?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Barbara