Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog's paw pads have peeled off, I guess is the best way

Customer Question

My dog's paw pads have peeled off, I guess is the best way to describe it. She was running around on rocks yesterday. How should they be treated?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did this just happen after her run yesterday?
Any raw areas or bleeding?
How is she?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I searched online a bit more and decided to put some neosporin and gauze and now they are wrapped in self-adhering bandages/tape. I'd rather not take them all apart as Bella seems more comfortable than before.
I'll change the bandages either tonight or tomorrow morning and send a pic if my subscription still allows. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
That sounds like reasonable first aid if the damage to the paws are mild. See how you get on and do post a photo tomorrow (there should be no issue to do so) if needed. Otherwise, if you don't need aid tomorrow, you can contact customer service @ http://ww2.justanswer.com/help and they can close your question.
Take care & all the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To answer your earlier questions: Yes, this happened yesterday. She was running around on rocks that surround an above ground pool. Her hind paws are raw, probably because she kept standing with her front paws up on the edge of the pool to check out what was happening inside. I used gauze held together by band-aids before I could get to the store and when I changed that dressing, the gauze had a tinge of pink, but was not deep red/blood soaked.
She is not active today, but up and about a little more since her paws have been wrapped and she finally ate her breakfast.
Thanks again,
Barbara
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome,
It does sound like it will just be superficial trauma from this. So, keep as you are and take a photo when you can if you have any concerns at that stage.
Dr. B.