Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Every month when I get my money I buy my dog a couple of stuff

Customer Question

every month when I get my money I buy my dog a couple of stuff toys this time I came home with one that is black.she's a black dashound. she has taken it and thinks it's her puppy.normally she would have those toys torn up in five minutes shes had this toy for 3 days now. When I got home with my bags of stuff,she's waiting excited to get her toys an stuff.I grabbed one tore of the tags an gave it to her.after putting away my bags of stuff, I sat down asking how see liked her toy,an I noticed she wasn't playing with it, so I took as she wasn't wanting to play with it.later I was going outside,an she always follows out with me.not even a minute out she starts crying at the door.worried why she want back in so bad,I watch her jump on the couch an get the toy an back to the door.I said oh you do like it.she had toy in mouth carrying it carefully. She takes to steps down turns around an gets back on couch.after keeping an eye on her to see if she was sick or what.hours later or watching her,I believed she thought this was her pup an not a pup she didn't care for.so I was relieved she wasn't sick.so I started watching her with it getting a kick out of it.I joked with family an friends about her thinking she's a mom.now its becoming a concern. She never leaves except to run out an potty.she stays right with it eating very little if she eats waits so long to get a drink that she slup's it fast an a lot of it.she wasn't that bad with her first litter.she's changed with personality an so protective an has biten 2 ppl.as far as knowing her being on the couch with me like its always been,she don't want to play or sit on me to pet her.I've petted her,but I've put my up pull the curtains next to her an she jumped an snapped at me.she never acted like that with her litter.I got to counting the months on the calander from her last being in heat .it was about the 2nd week in febuary.so she wasn't getting as close as I thought.its twice an year or every 6 months,am I right.so February to last of July into august. So I was thinking she was have post early doggie p.m.s if they even do.she has really like mood changes.I'm just getting very concern she cleans it.its like she depressed most of the time them barking at people she knows like she's going to tear them up.please help.I don't know if should be worried or normal for some.I know that all female women an animal have the same wants needs instinct for caring an loving an instinct of caring for babies.so please help,is she normal or nuts are me.oh don't know if you need her history or not to help.shes a miniature Dashound.she'll be 3 in july. An one litter about almost close to 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Snookie is demonstrating the signs of false pregnancy (pseudopregnancy, pseudocyesis). This is a common condition that always arises 1-3 months after a heat period during which a bitch hasn't been bred. In most cases false pregnancy is "silent" - you don't know it's going on but her ovaries are producing progesterone - the hormone that supports pregnancy. In some cases different degrees of maternal behavior - nesting, digging, adoption of animals or objects - as well as mammary problems, depression or anxiety, anorexia, and whining are possible.
False pregnancy typically resolves spontaneously within a few weeks from its onset but can occasionally persist until the next estrous cycle. It's important to discourage maternal behavior using aversion methods such as making toys unavailable at this time.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.