Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have an 18 yr old chihuahua, fixed male. he eats well, although

Customer Question

i have an 18 yr old chihuahua, fixed male. he eats well, although he has some dental issues. back in october he started coughing, and would cough until he spit up some foamy clearish stuff. we took him to see his doc and the doc tried antibiotics and we did cough meds and benedryl. nothing was helping, and we stopped antibiotics and gave him benedryl @ night just so he would rest and get some sleep. the coughing subsided. but....it's back... same foamy spittle as before...he coughs so hard he passes gas... is this something to be alarmed by? old age? what should be our next step? my husband mentioned putting him to rest, but his vet says his heart and lungs sound strong, and he seems happy...he is blind in one eye....the other eye is getting really cloudy, he cant hear very well, and stumble/wobbles when he walks. but he is my baby and i need to get info on what would be best for him...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Do you find Tiny Baby is slowing with exercise? Sitting down during walks?
Any fainting?
Did his vet only listen to his heart? Did they xray or scan it?
Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?