Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog just got sprayed with a skunk. He appears to be bleeding

Customer Question

My dog just got sprayed with a skunk. He appears to be bleeding slightly under the jaw. Should we have treated it with peroxide? Or take him to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if the skunk bit him or scratched him...
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. The first consideration is rabies following a skunk bite as skunks can carry rabies, if your dog's vaccines are up to date then this of no concern. If you are in doubt on this point you should contact your local vet on how they handle this and what needs done. Sometimes home quarantine of your dog is required. Probably best to check this over ASAP with your local vet at the first opportunity anyway. 2. Apart from the risk of rabies, skunk bites are not really much of an issue, you should be able to handle the situation with peroxide or Neosporin applied twice a day for a few days. However if it starts to look infected then a course of antibiotics may be needed but this would be rare. 3. If the eyes or mouth are affected at present { eye discharge or drooling from the mouth } all you usually have to do is to thoroughly irrigate them with luke warm water and repeat it an hour later. 4. Of course once you have dealt with the eyes you will have the smell to contend with. There are a number of remedies to get rid of the smell both commercial and home remedies, probably none of them are 100% effective but here are some tips : A. Wash your dog as soon as possible after the skunk spray so that nothing dries into his coat.B. Shower your dog in some way and rinse him really well, do not bath him as the smell will be in the bath water but the shower will eliminate it more quickly.C. Use dawn dish soap or other soap and let it soak in for 30 minutes but keep his coat moist, rinse your dog really well and repeat the process twice. { Dawn seems to be best }D. Finally use a commercial odour eliminator designed for this purpose if you have one available or you can buy one at a vet or good pet store in your area tomorrow. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the skunk incident.
How are things going? Please update me.
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.