Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My pregnant 2 weeks dog (I think she is pregnant)has some bumps,

Customer Question

my pregnant 2 weeks dog (I think she is pregnant)has some bumps, maybe bug bites or flead bites. Can I give her benadryl? I know it is mg same as weight. I have given it to her when she was itching. I am wairting to receive in the mail some frontline plus. I had some Adams flea control a couple of months ago ,but researched and it really could not find a yes or no so I did not put anything on her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it safe to use frontline plus or adams flea control the bumps are anywhere from a pea size to a quarter and they seem to be at her back side. could it be an allergic reaction. I can't think of anything she ate out of the ordinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I put hydro cortizon on the actual bumps?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thanks a written answer is fine
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. While I do not think this would be a great risk Benadryl is best avoided in pregnant dogs you can confirm this HERE 2. Topical ointments such as 0.5% hydrocortisone would be reasonably safe in pregnant dogs provided that none was ingested. But you can also use other wholesome and safe treatments such as oatmeal shampoos and calamine lotion. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you really did not answer my question, what is it from? They are more like welts and the were small and they keep getting bigger and more of them . If it is allergic can she have other life threatening symptoms? she has had a loose bowl ,not really diarrhea but not solid either. This bump thing just happened in the last 2 hours. I am afraid it is getting worst
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already looked up the benydryl on dr. fosters before I contacted you so that really was no help.
Hello again, Glad to talk this over with you further As your dog is pregnant and as you say the swelling getting worse and she is also showing other symptoms such as the diarrhoea then it may be best not to try home remedies of any kind, it is hard to come to any sort of precise diagnosis without examining your dog. Under these circumstances your best plan would be to have a vet check her over without delay. Frontline plus is safe for pregnant dogs. Better safe than sorry ... Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she had diarrhea day before yesterday and a little much earlier today. she is clearly itching and is having a reaction to something, I just do not know what. the bumps just started. this happened to my boxer many years ago but I could give her benadryl because she was not pregnant and it went away. I don't know what a doctor can do if the only allergy meds are a sudafed type of med
Hello again, I cannot make specific recommendations for your dog since I cannot examine her. But if I was presented with a pregnant dog which required anti-allergy treatment I would avoid steroids and Benadryl but would probably go for something like Clemastine which is known to be very safe for pregnant dogs, more information HERE Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?