Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years. Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I am checking to seek info about Rimadyl and aspirin, 10# *****

Customer Question

I am checking to seek info about Rimadyl and aspirin, for a 10# ***** Two days ago he picked a fight with a bigger dog and was grabbed by his head and shaken, thankfully is doing much better. I think he has a concussion and swelling from his symptoms, possible fracture from two deep bite marks on his skull, but that has healed nicely. At first we thought the worst, he was very daze, limp, and could not stand or walk, tongue would hang out, but that has returned back to normal. I gave him 1/4 Rimadyl along with 1/4 aspirin at first every six hours then 8 and now on 10hrs, my concern is both drugs together or should I space them apart. He is fed and eating cooked chicken with the meds but doesn't chew his food but licks up his food, he is now able to get up and walk a though gingerly, and is still wobbly when standing. Wondering how long until the swelling will subside in his brain and as he relearns his balance and hopefully chewing comes back.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More to note is his left front paw will not be in correct position pads down and is flipped (knuckles down) when he tries standing at times, but is corrected when he starts walking. He does put pressure when we try pushing on all four pads so he has muscle and proper response there, I think this may subside as his injuries heal. The wobbling and falling over also seem to happen because his rear legs are not spaced far enough apart at times too, and hoping he will correct this as brain healing continues. I wonder what type of therapies I could do at some point and others types of meds to help in the healing process other than listed earlier and much needed rest.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am sorry to hear that your boy has been injured. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.
You absolutely positively can NOT give these meds together. When aspirin is used we actually have to do a wash out where they are not on anything for 7 days before giving Rimadyl. Also neither of these drugs should be given more then twice per day.I apologize if I sounded harsh but I would hate to see you loose him after all your love and care due to medication complications.
I completely understand that you are only trying to help him but using these drugs together poses a very very serious risks of causing bleeding ulcers, damage to the liver and or kidneys, and problems with the clotting factors in the blood.
The dose for Rimadyl is 1mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours. I would use this only since it is far more effective then aspirin.
I would highly suggest getting him on Pepcid AC to try to protect the stomach. This is dosed at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet every 12 hours.
It sounds like you are doing a good job of caring for him but I have to suggest having him seen by a vet. Most injuries from a dog fight are internal and shaking very often causes damage to the spine.I am also very concerned about the head trauma.
I hope this helps and he does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help.
If you have no additional questions please take the time to provide a rating before exiting the site so that I am compensated by JustAnswer for assisting you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** only continue the Rimadyl, do you know if this will continue to help with any concussion symptoms (reduce swelling)? We agree about your thoughts on seeing a vet, but are unsure what they can and will actually do for him without much testing. At the moment of the incident it looked bleak and we had lost another chihuahua a few months back because of a blood disorder that quickly took hold leading internally ( he was on Rimadyl for knees) and before we got the blood and urine results the following day we knew he was dying that night, my point here is that it cost us almost $500 and still had lost him. Seeing that this was severe head trauma and/or spinal we certainly cannot afford $100's in tests, x-rays, blood work, or even operations. It may sound mean but prayer was our first thoughts, and love with meds to help swelling and pain.I am amazed at his turn around in just two days time, but we want to continue on the road to improvement. So do you think Rimadyl will continue to help with any concussion symptoms (reduce swelling)? Also how long should we continue before we can stop using meds for this. As I stated before he is eating, but not really chewing, he is also pee/pooping fine, and just today is getting up on his own to go outside. We will limit his activities to short walking and plenty of rest, but are wondering what your thoughts are on the unsteadiness, and his front paw flopping when getting up, unless he is walking (thankfully), if that should lessen, and is there any type of physical therapy or other ideas that may help. Thank you again.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Really in cases where we are worried about spinal and brain swelling we use steroids rather then an anti inflammatory meds. Will the Rimadyl help with brain swelling no but it will help with any spinal swelling.
The paw flapping over in the front limbs sounds like some type of trauma to the discs in the neck which would be expected with a violent shaking.
Remember you always have to option of declining testing at the vets office. That said we could not give the steroids now as they to require a wash out period due to both the aspirin and Rimadyl.
Once he is a little more stable you could try water therapy. He is small enough that you could even swim him in the tub. Start with 2-3 minutes once per day working your way up to 3-5 minutes 3 times per day