Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 9 yr old viszla has lost all mobility in her back legs if

Customer Question

my 9 yr old viszla has lost all mobility in her back legs if she does get walking its like from half way down her back just drops to one side no control it just started yesterday
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Magic.
Thank you for requesting me. This sounds like she has something wrong with her spinal cord, such as a stroke, a slipped disc, FCE (fibrocartilaganeous embolism, similar to a stroke but gets better with time), an infection of the spinal cord, or possibly a tumor in the spinal cord.
I would recommend a good physical exam with a veterinarian as soon as possible. Starting her on prescription medication to reduce inflammation in the back, and possibly pain medication, may help her. A good examination may help to decide what the problem is, and what the best treatment is.
Some of these conditions may improve, especially if treated promptly. Until you can get her to your veterinarian, keep her quiet, and confined. Don't let her walk much, carry her outside to eliminate, no stairs, no getting on furniture.
This is scary to see when it happens, but there is a possibility that with treatment and time she could get better if this is stroke, a disc problem, or FCE. If it is a tumor, of course, it will probably not get better.
Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer.