Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My 5 year old Westie is favoring her back end and acting like

Customer Question

My 5 year old Westie is favoring her back end and acting like she needs to itch. She is whining and almost frantic at times and she just wants me to hold her. Ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Sorry to hear that your little girl is so uncomfortable. Is she trying to lick under her tail and/or is she scooting? Or is she trying to reach her rump area? When you bathed her did you find any fleas or flea debris? Did you use a new shampoo or conditioner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No scooting, but is trying to reach her rump area. I put her flea medicine on a week ago so it should not be fleas. I used the same shampoo that I have for several years
What flea medicine are you using? How long after you applied it did you bathe her. Two very important questions when considering a possible flea problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used Sentry FIPROGUARD MAX. It was 5 days after treatment that I gave her a bath
The only problem I have heard is that some fleas are becoming immune to fipronil. This could be the case in your area, and your vet there would know if there are any problems where you live Otherwise, fipronil is supposed to last longer with bathing and swimming as long as you don't do a bath within 2 days before its application or for 2 days after.
Have you combed her or look for flea debris? Any black debris at all on her rump or belly. If so, please take some of that debris, put it on a white paper towel and moisten it. If it bleeds a rust color then it is from fleas.
Anything like that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Probably not fleas then, but still a slight possibility. What you could try starting tonight is Benadryl. The dose is 1-2 mg/pound of body weight every 8 hours. This seems like a high dose compared to humans, but it is correct. This could very well help if she has any allergies and will sedate her some for a better sleep.
I'd like to hear tomorrow how she is doing. . .the main goal is her comfort of course.
Dr. Barbara

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Barbara