How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19146
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of our two dogs, 10 yr old cavilier ad 3 yr old shitzu

Customer Question

one of our two dogs, 10 yr old cavilier ad 3 yr old shitzu type got into my open purse and consumed a hostess chocolate cupcake. any suggestions as to what to do. cant get to vet emergency as car heatd up onway home tonite and is parked til repair monday.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Good news! ... I think all you need do is to monitor your dogs for present. Even if one of your dogs ate the whole cup cake on it's own it would be very unlikely that there would be enough pure chocolate content to cause any sort of serious incident, you may see a mild transient bout of vomiting or diarrhoea but that's about it. The danger here would be the chocolate content of such cup cakes, while chocolate can be toxic to dogs they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than any of your dogs ate before you would see signs of serious toxicity. I say this because :2. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 20 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 14 ozs { nearly one pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. And of course chocolate would not be the main ingredient of cup cakes, it is present more as a flavouring, check out the ingredient list HERE3. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear but this would not be likely in your case.Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
Just checking in to see if any of your dogs are showing any adverse symptoms ...
How are things going?
Please update me.
Regards,
Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.