Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My name is***** had been eating grass

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** had been eating grass and a couple days later black tarry crap and could see grass in poop. Since then it has turned into pinkish red phlegm and makes little puddles. She ate a piece od dog food last night like she was hungry but did not give her anymore.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Cathy. I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, I must say that I am quite concerned about Riata. All of the signs you have reported (the black tar like stools, the pink discolored vomit) are signs that most commonly are seeing when there is bleeding in the stomach. The black coloration is actually the result of the blood being digested by the upper GI. Now as I am sure you can appreciate, that when we see this we do have to be concerned about something causing trauma or ulceration (ie foreign bodies, stomach ulcers, cancer, etc).
Therefore, based on what you have seen, we need to tread carefully. In this situation, even if she is otherwise bright, it would be prudent to have her checked by her vet at this stage. If her gums are pale/white, then it is even more of a emergency. Still, in all cases, this is something that is best nipped in the bud. If she is checked by her vet, then can have a feel of her belly and just make sure there isn't pain there or any obvious foreign body lurking in and traumatizing her gut (if there is, then obviously that would be something you'd want addressed). And if they suspect that she does have a stomach ulcer, then this can be managed medically to settle the ulcer and aid its healing.
Otherwise, if you cannot get her checked immediately, then we'd need to monitor closely and would want to start her on an antacid like:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
These can be given every 8 hours and will reduce stomach acid and possible further erosion of any potential stomach ulcers. You can also use Milk of Magnesia (after the antacid has absorbed) at a dose of 0.5-1 teaspoon every 8-12 hours. This will coat the stomach and help protect it. And once she is more settled, you can consider frequent small meals of a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, etc) to just keep her stomach from being empty and vulnerable to her stomach acid.
Overall, based on her signs, we'd be quite concerned about upper GI issues that could be causing a stomach bleed. Therefore, I would advise the above for your lass to help reduce risk until you can get her checked by her vet.
In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.
Please take care,
Dr. B.