How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11374
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Chihuahua ate a small piece of caramel covered in chocolate.

Customer Question

My Chihuahua ate a small piece of caramel covered in chocolate. In less than a minute I gave him Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with Peanut butter to make him vomit, which he did the first upheaval was a lot and I could see some caramel and what looked dark, like chocolate. He continued to throw up until he was just throwing up what looked like bile. He's acting 100% normal. Can you tell me damage chocolate causes, and what of anything I should be looking for?? Or do you think I caught it quick enough?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Luckily it sounds like you were very proactive in removing the chocolate from his system and he should be just fine but below are the clinical signs to monitor for with chocolate intake along with a chocolate scale to enter his weight and the amount ingested so you have an idea of risks if there is anything still in his stomach.
This article lists signs associated with chocolate toxicity which can vary depending on the amount ingested:
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/toxins-poisons/chocolate-toxicity-in-dogs
Mild signs include vomiting and diarrhea
Moderate signs include restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination and possibly excessive panting.
More severe signs include increased heart rate and blood pressure levels may also be increased. Seizure activity may occur in most severe cases.
Here is the link to the chocolate toxicity meter:
http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity
With him vomiting a large portion of what was likely ingested there is a high probability that you will not see any ill effects at all but I definitely agree that knowing what to monitor for in case there are any complications from the ingestion.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with today!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I hope Peanut is doing alright. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am on-line another 15 minutes tonight if you have any additional questions or concerns
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Related Dog Veterinary Questions