Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dachshund has had back surgery four years ago. It left her

Customer Question

My dachshund has had back surgery four years ago. It left her with nerve damage and she as a limp. Her legs jerk at times. Is there anything I had do to help with the jerking?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your girl Coco. It sounds like she has done pretty well considering her spinal surgery 4 years ago! It is quite possible this ongoing leg jerking cannot be helped, however you could definitely consider a couple of different therapies that may potentially help limit the frequency of this jerking.
It sounds like you have already tried laser therapy, and you could certainly continue you with this, if you feel it seems to be assisting your girl and/or lowering the frequency of her leg jerks.
The other therapy that may help your girl's leg jerking potentially is veterinary acupuncture. There is some good evidence for this available, and many vets have been using and recommending acupuncture for their spinal disease/surgery patients. You can read more about the use of acupuncture for these patients online here: http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/healingpage.htm . If you need help finding a veterinary acupuncturist in your state, just let me know and I will assist you in this search.
I do think it is unlikely that this leg jerk will ever completely resolve, but it is possible that the frequency of these jerks could certainly be lowered with the assistance from some acupuncture. Also discuss this with your vet and assess Coco's muscles in her hind legs. If she could put more muscle on, then you could consider hydrotherapy or physiotherapy for your girl as well.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I hope you managed to follow up on the above with your vet? It would definitely be worth giving the acupuncture a go.
If you could give me an update when you get a chance, that would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Dr E