Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My adopted dog was neutered at the end of March and I noticed

Customer Question

My adopted dog was neutered at the end of March and I noticed a lump on the left side of his penis. It varies in size and doesn't seem to be hard but I'm worried. He did have a little infection and was constantly licking the area. I'm wondering if he doesn't still have an infection under the skin???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
You're correct to be concerned about infection because that lump is likely to be an inguinal lymph node and those nodes drain areas of inflammation/infection. The infection can be superficial - a pyoderma (bacterial skin infection) or, instead, involve the prepuce of the penis (balanoposthitis) and even deeper penile structures. It would be prudent to have Biscuit's vet take a look at the affected area to see if antibiotic therapy is warranted or, instead, investigation further into the swelling which is initially done by needle aspirating it and examining the aspirate microscopically.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.