Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Will amoxicillin help my dog with an ear infection? What's

Customer Question

Will amoxicillin help my dog with an ear infection? What's a safe dose for a small dog about 20 pounds?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now when treating ear infections, we do usually use intra-ear treatments (as long as we had had checked to make sure there was no damage to the ear drum). Still, if we had a dog with a bacterial ear infection that had a compromised or unknown status of their ear drum, we could use Amoxicillin. It wouldn't help for yeast or mite infections but it could help with bacteria. If we were to treat a 20lb dog, then we'd use a dose between 120-200 mg twice daily for at least a week. We could also flush the ear with luke warm saline (salty water) to flush out bacteria a few times daily. And if we did not see this improve, then we'd want to swab the ear to make sure those other agents are not present and determine what antibiotic the bacteria was sensitive to.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )