Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Took 3 year old german shepherd into vet since right rear leg

Customer Question

Took 3 year old german shepherd into vet since right rear leg was limping. They suspected torn CCL. Saw the orthopedic and he said it was not (by this time she stopped limping) he said to bring her in if she starts limping. 4 weeks later and she has been great. All of a sudden today she is not even bearing weight on the same leg (it is much worse). She is showing signs of distress with excessive breathing. When she did put her foot down she would not let the toes touch the ground. They did check for broken toes but nothing was found. I just woke up to ear eating her back foot and her left back foot(nothing is wrong with it). She is bleeding and has eaten away her foot pad. I have put gauze on them and wrapped them in a sock to prevent any more. I will make an appointment with my vet tomorrow but they have been pretty useless.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I would want to check the foot to see if it's cold. It sounds like there may be blood supply lost to the foot. That can cause it to be cold and painful and lead to self trauma. I have seen this in dogs where kids put hair ties or string around the leg. I have also seen the dogs own hair or human hair wrapped around the leg and causing a tourniquet. I would check her over for those things if possible.
Tomorrow, they will look for any blood loss to the limb. They may also check for a clot to the leg. They do this by checking a blood glucose in that leg and comparing it with a normal leg. It'll be much lower in the leg affected by a clot.
Lastly, I would want to check liver values as there is a condition where liver disease causes skin lesions. This is called hepato-cutaneous syndrome. It's rare, but it happens.
I hope this helps give you some information to help going forward. Let me know if you have any other questions.