Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My Great Dane is breathing funny. I just took him to an animal

Customer Question

My Great Dane is breathing funny. I just took him to an animal emergency room and they said it isn't bloat. I have given him 800 ml of sub q fluids and a shot of pen g. He is going to the bathroom but hasn't eaten today
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I'm glad you ruled out bloat. That's very important in danes with discomfort and respiratory signs.
I would wonder whether this is due to growing pains. This is common in giant breeds that are < 2 years of age. They grow so quickly that they can get bone and joint pain during their maturation. This can manifest as limping, panting, rapid breathing, trembling, fever or lethargy. Often times supportive care (fluids, pain meds, rest) is all that is needed.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's breathing funny though. I have blown in both his mouth and nose at the same time. He doesn't want to eat but will drink water.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I think I would want to make sure it's not pneumonia if they didn't do that already. Chest x-rays can be done to make sure the lungs are clear. If the lungs are clear, then we can rule out lower airway disease. With that in mind, the breathing is due to something else- stress, pain, anxiety, fever, ect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's also drooling heavy. His gums are pink though.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ok good, I'm glad the gums are pink. That's encouraging. The drooling is a common sign of nausea in dogs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I do for him?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You can give something to settle his stomach now. You could give a dose of Pepcid AC (Famotidine)- 20 mg. Other than that, I would just give him time to let things settle down. Unless he starts having labored breathing, blue/ pale gums or retching, I don't think it's too serious.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His breathing isn't normal not seems like he's having a hard time breathing. He won't lay day to go to bed. He's got his head resting on my bed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
If you think he's worsening, then I would return to the ER vet and get x-rays of his chest. I know it's not what you want to do, but it may give you peace of mind. If need be, they could hospitalize him and keep him on oxygen to see if it helps him relax and sleep.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you. I forgot to tell you he's not running a fever do you still think it could be pneumonia?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
It could be, yes. If there is a pocket of pneumonia, there may not be a fever induced. It may just cause rapid or labored breathing only. From the sounds, I do think it's more of a pain/ stress type of condition that you're seeing. I would want to get x-rays just in case, though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, happy to help.