Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog had his nails trimmed and they may have been cut to

Customer Question

my dog had his nails trimmed and they may have been cut to the quick on one foot he was at the groomer, tonight he is hurting as he walks and I cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide which he licked and then threw up i then washed it with warm water. it is not bleeding or swollen and he seems calm now. the skin around is red and clearly painful. i have to travel with him tomorrow on a plane in a carrying case and plan to take him to the vet if he is not better when we arrive, the vet already gave me some medicin for airsickness and i will give irt to him. i cannot postphone my trip which is early tomorrow morning any advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
A quicked nail is something that is common when trimming toenails. It will be sore for a day or two, but it's typically non-painful after that period. You really don't need to do anything special to get these to heal. You just need to give them some time.
If he's licking at it, then I would get an e-collar to prevent licking. Licking will just irritate it more. For the plane ride, the anti-nausea medication will also sedate him some and make him more comfortable. You shouldn't need a vet visit or to postpone the trip. He should do fine.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.