Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a small doggy and other dog bit her this eve on

Customer Question

Hello I have a small doggy and other dog bit her this eve on her side by her ribs. It look like it was only one ounchure would and I finally got the bledding to stop and now she just been crying and she can't walk.. She drags her back legs behind her..I don't know what else to do..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I'm sorry for the long wait.
It sounds like more than just a bite wound to cause these signs. Bite wounds shouldn't lead to dragging the rear legs. That is a neurologic sign that points to spinal cord trauma. This is usually due to a ruptured disc in the back or some type of spinal trauma. X-rays and an MRI are needed to diagnose these.
I would get a vet to do a good neurologic exam to make sure it's true neurologic disease and not just pain related. They will then do the imaging depending on their neuro findings. The treatment will depend on the findings. If there is a spinal fracture, it will need to be stabilized surgically. If there is just bruising to the spinal cord, medical management with pain meds and rest should help. If there is compression on the spinal cord, then surgical decompression is needed.
In the mean time, you can locally treat the bite wounds by clipping the hair from the area with electric clippers. You can then clean the wounds with soap/ warm water and pat them dry.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.