Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

What causes a dogs urine to be extremely dark. I have been

Customer Question

What causes a dogs urine to be extremely dark. I have been laid off and unemployment has ran out so I am trying to doctor my dogs as best I can. Please tell me what to do. He has been incapacitated and mobility isn't easy for him but I am warm bathing, exercising and massaging him. Is it normal for his urine to be so dark even though he has started drinking water and taking electrolytes. His appetite is returning and he is improving by leaps and bounds. This is the thing that has me so concerned.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
The urine can be dark for a few reasons- dehydration, urinary tract infection, hemolysis (red blood cell destruction), bladder stones, kidney disease, prostate disease or even a bladder tumor.
Without a work up- x-rays, bloodwork, urinalysis- we're just guessing. If you're able to get him in and looked at, that would be ideal. The treatment really depends on what is found. If you're not able to get him seen, then the best thing is to keep him well hydrated. Try to increase his water intake to ~ 25 mL per lb per day or more.
When you're able to get him looked at, I would do bloodwork to check kidney enzymes, glucose, red cells and then a urinalysis to look at the concentration and to look for blood. If he continues to improve and get back to normal, then the water increase may get the urine cleared up.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?