Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

Is agapanthus' roots or leaves toxic to dogs

Customer Question

is agapanthus' roots or leaves toxic to dogs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Agapanthus contains alkaloids which are going to cause gastrointestinal upset. The bulb (root) contains the most highly concentrated alkaloids and, if ingested, is expected to cause more problems than the leaves. Most commonly in dogs we see vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea. The plant doesn't cause organ failure or other issues beyond GI upset. The treatment is supportive with medication for nausea, bland diet, fluid therapy if needed.
I would keep Dexter away from the agapanthus. You can try Pepcid AC (i.e. famotidine is the generic name) for mild nausea/stomach upset: he'd take 10 mg per 20 lbs of body weight every 12 hours. You can feed a bland diet of white chicken meat without skin or fat and boiled white rice. If Dexter isn't feeling better in 1-2 days or stops eating at any point, then I would recommend taking him to the vet.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Sincerely, Customer