Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Wow really!! I would love if you could answer a question for

Customer Question

Wow really!! I would love if you could answer a question for me, I have two golden retrievers 8 and 3 we live in Turks and Caicos originally from Canada, both contracted heartworm..... we did the prevention but still ended up with it the vet services here are terrible to non exsistant we treated them with doxycycline, prednisone and 2 months of heart guard. May 14th they received the first shot and are scheduled for the second and third shot June 13-14 we are on day 14 today... they are getting quite restless they are used to regular works and ocean swims, they have just finished another dose of prednisone are they able to get out on short walks prior to the next shots? should the worms that were killed be through their system by now? sorry to be so lenghty
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am also in the Carribean off the coast of Honduras and see this disease often. If your dogs are not showing clinical signs, the slow kill method for a positive heartworm dog is effective. I am not aware of what injection may be given to your dogs so please tell me what they are being given.
The slow kill method is heartgard monthly with Doxycycline for 2 weeks every month. THere has been research that tells us that the heartwprms require a certain bacteria that is sensitive to Doxycycline so the small dose of Ivermectin and the Doxycycline is given for 2-3 years.
If your dogs are showing serious clinical signs of Heart disease, then stronger medications will be required.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****