Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog started pulling the hair of her lower back near her

Customer Question

My dog started pulling the hair of her lower back near her tail on Sunday. I had been on an extended vacation,, leaving her at home, and she was well cared for. I returned Tues and saw the area, and noticed a small puncture area, with a scab which is now off. I read the question and answer in the post , she has never done this before even though I travel many times a year.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It could be this puncture wound causing this behavior or the more common cause is an allergic reaction that causes sweet Lulu to scratch and pull out her fur. If there is an abscess growing under the skin in this area, this will cause Lulu to pull out the fur.
For now, follow these instructions:
Give Lulu Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****