Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

What happens if my dog ingests 200 mg of Lamital?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. How long ago did Chloe ingest the Lamital?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm really not even sure that she ingested it but if she did, she chewed it because it is not a capsule.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Around 7 a.m.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, I'm having technical difficulties with the site.
Okay, thank you. As it's been longer than one hour, the medication would have passed from her stomach, so making her vomit it back up is out of the question. Lamictal is not a drug that has been FDA approved for dogs, so the pharmacological workings have not been documented. It is a fairly potent psychogenic medication, however and may potentially could have toxic effects. Severe skin rashes have been reported with long-term use in humans, but nothing of the sort has been reported for one-time accidental doses in the dog.
Your options at this point are to get her to your veterinarian for prophylactic treatment with activated charcoal (it absorbs the medication in the intestine), or take the risk of betting on her not ingesting the pill, or that she doesn't have a reaction to it. In either case, the outcome is unpredictable since so little is known about the drug in dogs. I wish I had a more clear cut answer for you, but if you should have further questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.
Kind regards, *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, it took so long and I was so worried that I called the Animal Control Poisen Center and they suggested that I take her to my vet so she is on her way there now.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
I apologize for the inefficiency. You've done the best thing for Chloe in spite of my failure to advise you in a timely manner. I hope she comes through this episode unharmed. Best regards, *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome!