Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Is Xylitol a problem , specifically cocker spaniel

Customer Question

Is Xylitol a problem for dogs, specifically cocker spaniels?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Xylitol is a major problem for any dog species (not just cockers). It can cause dangerous crashes in blood sugar and severe liver damage. So, I do hope this is a hypothetical question because if Bentley has been exposed to this dangerous artificial sugar, then it is an emergency situation where he'd need to see his vet urgently to induce vomiting, bind the toxin, and start IV fluids to limit the potential harm this could cause.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog seems to have ingested 6 xylimelts tabs for dry mouth which each contain 500 mg of xylitol. I know it can cause diarrhea, but im concerned about it having the effect of sugarless gum such as trident etc...should I be worried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message + Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just moved to the New Bern area in NC, dont know what is availabe to take him to...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Oh dear, I would be very worried here and advise that we need to get him seen urgently. To find a vet near you, you can check at
http://www.vetlocator.com/ -or-
www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
I will now start typing out how to induce vomiting but with the quick action of xylitol, please start checking those links for a vet near you.
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Now again that dose is quite high and a real worry, so we do need to act fast. While you are looking for a local vet with those links, you can start inducing vomiting and supplementing him with glucose.
To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get him to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to again consider seeing the ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of his stomach and avoid any adverse issues.
As well, since this sugar cases blood sugar crashing, afterwards we want to keep him eating and also can provide a sugar boost by administering (or rubbing on his gums) glucose syrup, honey, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam. All of these are high and sugar and can help keep him from crashing until he can be put on IV fluid support.
Please take care,
Dr. B.