Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 2 year old miniature pinscher dog. She has been

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2 year old miniature pinscher dog. She has been having diarrhea all day today, is very soft, almost liquid, yellow. What can I give her? Now that she just pooped, she seems to be quite active and feeling better, but I think this diarrhea might continue over the night. I do not have Peptobismol, is there anything else that I could give her? Like a home remedy or something? I am really worried, because I just lost a 10 year old beagle this afternoon.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean either way is ok, I just need to get in touch with someone quite soon, please. I am really worried! Thank you!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Have you seen any blood or mucus in her stool?
Has she had any vomiting?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Are they moist or sticky?
Is she eating and drinking normally for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou so much. No blood or mucus, no vomiting, her gums are pink and a little sticky, her stool just turned darker, she is been eating and drinking just a little less.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
First, as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see diarrhea triggered by a range of reasons. This can include bacterial or viral infections, parasites (worms but also protozoa), dietary indiscretions (eating something that didn't agree with her, toxins, or non-edible items), and sometimes even stress (which could be an issue if she did just lost a friend).
With all this in mind, we can try to settle this for her with some supportive care just now. First, you can consider offering a light/easily digestible diet options. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder. Otherwise, we do have some easily digestible veterinary prescription diets like Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity that could also help. These can be useful for dogs with diarrhea since they are better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. This means more nutrients in and result in less diarrhea. As well, whichever you choose you can add a spoonful of tinned pumpkin, all bran, or even a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. All of these are rich fiber sources and can help bulk up feces to slow diarrhea. Also do make sure to feed this as small frequent meals to further decrease the volume of diarrhea she is producing.
Otherwise, since diarrhea can quickly dehydrate an small dog (and if her gums are a little sticky), then we need to keep an eye on her hydration. Especially as dehydration is commonly what makes them feel poorly with GI bugs. To check her hydration status to make sure they are not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, since she is small, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for her.
If you are concerned that she is becoming dehydrated, you can try and encourage her to drink but offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. Furthermore, you can offer rehydration solutions like Pedialyte. Pedialyte is nice (though aim for a flavorless one) because it will get some of those lost electrolytes back into her as well. A typical maintenance rate for hydration in an animal is 48mls per kilogram of weight a day. Of course, her requirement will be higher since we'd have to also consider how much fluid is being lost in her diarrhea. So, if she is drinking then you don't need to syringe her fluids. Still, this baseline will give you an idea to whether she is meeting this target plus matching her own losses.
Finally, since you reported no blood, there are some anti-diarrheals that can be used in dogs to slow things down for their gut. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure (since cures would depend on the culprit and might include antibiotics or anti-parasitics, etc.) but would slow the diarrhea to aid the body potentially absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle this upset that is likely triggering her reduced appetite/thirst. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are:
* PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose@ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate#.VDp9WBZYxaQ ) --as you noted
* Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p )
Both are available from your local pharmacy if needed. Furthermore, Propectalin or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vet practices, pet stores, even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea but those last 2 have bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI.
Overall, when we see diarrhea in our dogs, we do have a range of potential triggers to consider. Therefore, I would advise using the above supportive care. If you do so over the next 24-48 hours and she doesn't settle (or looks dehydrated already), then we would need to consider getting her vet involved. They can examine her, assess her hydration and diarrhea to help you pinpoint a cause for this. Depending on the exam +/- fecal test findings, you will then be in a position to know if she needs anything prescribed (ie antibiotics, wormers, etc) and if so what she needs to clear this for her.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate all your help. I think i might take her to the vet in a few hours just to make sure she doesnt need any antibiotics or wormers. She has been eating boiled chicken and rise, and she just drank some water.
Thank you again for everyhing, i hope you have a great day. God bless you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
I am glad that she is eating a light diet for you and a check up is never a bad idea to just nip any infectious agents in the bud. And if you do have her seen, consider taking a stool sample with you so that her vet can see what she is passing +/- send it for testing if need be.
Take care & all the best,
Dr. B.