Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My daughter in laws 15 year old little dog is having seizures

Customer Question

My daughter in laws 15 year old little dog is having seizures and was told last week that if she had more she would probably die. Wondering if a little xanex would ease the dog's anxiety
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Mysti. Seizures in an older dog do have to be concerning as far as why they are happening. If she were to come into my clinic with that history, I would do blood work on her to look for any primary metabolic issues that may be at hand for these seizures. I would also recommend that the owner video the "seizures" that they are seeing so I could see exactly what they are seeing. Every once in a great while, a seizure seen by an owner turns out to be something else. I would make sure I did a thorough exam on her to make sure her heart sounds strong and regular.
She isn't having the seizures due to stress. At her age, the concern is there for a brain lesion as the source of the seizures. This is confirmed by a MRI / CT of the brain. A step that honestly not a lot of owners make the choice to do. If the seizures are getting that frequent, then starting anti seizure medication like phenobarbitol or potassium bromide or levetiracetam would be recommended. Here is a great link on seizures I want you to read.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=560
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had rewritten the whole message. I had added the whole story. Can't believe it didn't go through!! She's been tested and she has bad kidney function. She was told if she had another seizure she would probably die. Mysti is dying. She's 15 or older. She's shaking and her Mommy doesn't know what to do. All I wanted to know was if Xanex could possibly help. She doesn't have $ to take her to the ER Vet
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry something with the system didn't let a previous reply go through. That sometimes happens to me when I'm responding and I know the frustration there. I'm very sorry to hear about the fact that Mysti has the underlying kidney issues. Alprazolam is used in veterinary medicine for dogs to help with anxiety disorders or phobias. It wouldn't be something that I'd recommend in this situation as far as with Mysti. If she's just shaking at this time, the best thing to do is to have her in a quiet area, with no stress / stimulation for her to rest. If she's currently having a seizure, could she come out of it like she has with the previous ones? I'm not sure if saying the next seizure she had would probably be a fatal one as there is no way to know this with any accuracy.