Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Have a small mixed breed dog. Part wire haired terrier. About

Customer Question

Have a small mixed breed dog. Part wire haired terrier. About 4 years old. Has been
very healthy until today. She is always bright eyed, and very playful. When she got
up this AM we could tell tell by looking at her she didn't feel good. She holds her moth open
a little like it hurts to close it. She has eaten a small amount of her dog food but does not
want to drink anything. She was out doors yesterday with my husband. Cleaning around garden. He said there were some weeds with little burs on this that she was playing with.
Could there be something caught in her mouth? If so what can we do? We are so worried .
She means every thing to us. Will get her to Vet in morning. Should have done that today.
Had Dr. appointments for us and just didn't get it done.Hope you can help or at least some encouragement Thanks *****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Patricia and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
There are 2 possibilities for this behavior. One is that there could be a bur or something caught in her tonsils or other areas of her oral cavity. Often, we have to anesthetize her to get a good look and remove any offending piece of material.
It also may be that she has an allergic reaction to something in the garden that is causing local lesion in her mouth...try to open her mouth to check the mucous membranes to see if there is the presence of any ulcers.
Until you get her to your vet, Patricia, keep food away and keep her quiet until your vet can examine her.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****