Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 65 pound dog just ate the small cap to her ear ointment.

Customer Question

My 65 pound dog just ate the small cap to her ear ointment. It is less than an inch long and very narrow. I am worried that it will make her sick. Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
It's very likely that a 65 lb dog will pass that cap without much ado. There isn't enough product in the cap to sicken her. You can facilitate its package by adding psyllium seed to each meal until the cap shows up in her stool. The dose of psyllium seed (Metamucil) is a total of 2 tablespoons per day for her divided into her meals. Vomiting and inappetence are symptoms of obstruction of the GI tract - neither of which I expect to arise but you should be aware of them.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?