Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I was just wondering about the possibility of my chihuahua

Customer Question

I was just wondering about the possibility of my chihuahua being pregnant because her heat ended over a month ago but her bottom four nipples are s looking swollen and she seems to want to eat all the time and she is very affectionate today especially... I just real your previous message re the topic and it seems she could be pregnant but as far as I know she didn't mate unless she squeezed thru fence and returned unnoticed when out in yard
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
There unfortunately is a possibility of her being pregnant but she can also be going through what is called a "false" pregnancy or pseudocyesis. Dogs going through this can go through every stage of pregnancy and even act as if they are going to whelp with nesting and milk production!
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/pseudocyesis-false-pregnancy-in-dogs
So my recommendation would be to have a veterinary exam. You can have an ultrasound done at this point to ensure she is not pregnant (can be done after about 24 days of pregnancy) or you can wait until she is 45+ days past her heat to have an x-ray done (when puppy bones mineralize and show up on x-rays).
Once you have this information it will help guide on how best to move forward with her, whether a diet supplement is warranted if she is pregnant or if it is a false pregnancy waiting it out (there is no treatment for this, even spayed dogs can sometimes show this sign).
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can assist with any additional questions or concerns today.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!