Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We live in the Adirondacks, black flies are bad, especially

Customer Question

We live in the Adirondacks, black flies are bad, especially now, late May.Our Shelti has about 15 bites. On the future I will use a preventative but I was wondering if there is a topical that I can use now? Thanks so much for your help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** quick homemade topical treatment to try and prevent her from being bitten until you get a preventative, I would note that you can put apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and spray her to deter the flies. The Bye Bye Blackfly ointment can be used but be careful since large doses of citronella oil can be harmful to dogs.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** for the bites already present, do gently cleanse them with luke warm water and a mild antiseptic (ie salt water, dilute chlorohexidine, betadine). Afterwards you can apply a topical antibiotic ointment (ie Neosporin) +/- OTC hydrocortisone cream if they are sore, inflamed, or itchy.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** we'd want to consider using a pyrethrin or permethrin sprays. As well, spraying deterrents around the yard can reduce black fly numbers as well so there are less to cause her bother.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rebecca,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rebecca Hasemeier. How is everything going?
nekovet