Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My newfoundland has a bad hot spot under his chin. The

Customer Question

Hi. My newfoundland has a bad hot spot under his chin. The E Collar is only trapping drool and making it worse! The vet gave his a steroid shot and 1250 mg cephalexin 2x/day plus gentizol. After 24 hours he is still so itchy that he cannot sleep or even be still. I took off the e-collar and used the cool setting on a hairdryer to dry all of the fur that was drool soaked and replaced the e-collar with an inflated donut. However, that does not keep him from using his feet to scratch. What on earth do I do next? He is miserable!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

This can be a real challenge for our drooling breeds (I myself have a St. Bernard and know your pain with moist chins and hot spot risks). In this case, if the collar is trapping drool, then you are right to remove it. Otherwise, since that limits our ability to protect the area from his scratching, we need to try to reduce the damage those feet can do. The inflatable collar is a start but since we cannot bandage the area (since that would lock in moisture making it worse) but that means we need to address his back feet. Specifically, make sure to keep his nails clipped short and consider covering the feet with thick socks or dog booties (example). That way we can reduce what he can do to the skin by scratching while trying to let his treatments tackle the infection.

Otherwise, further to the treatments he is on, I would advise to bathe the skin in dilute chlorohexidine, drying throughly (hair dryer is fine), and then applying the Gentizol. If the fur has not been clipped in this area (since it is usually what locks in moisture and starts this in the first place) consider having this done as well. Furthermore, if he is still itchy, you may want to touch base with his vet about a course of oral steroids so you can manage allaying the itch on a daily basis. Otherwise, you could also add in an antihistamine like Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose HERE) to further tackle the itch and help get Boomer settled enough to let this heal for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Meredith,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boomer. How is everything going?

nekovet