Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has lung cancer (metastizied to lungs after surgery

Customer Question

My dog has lung cancer (metastizied to lungs after surgery to remove lower left mandible for osteosarcoma.
He has under gone chemo and is no longer on any chemo treatment. He is coughing and gaging if he gets excited or barks. Today for the first time, he coughed up fluid (phlegm) with blood mixed in.
Is there a prescription medication similar to Lasix / furosemide which would be successful in reducing fluid in his lungs in order to reduce his coughing and collection of phlegm.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
First, it will depend on what the fluid actually is. If there is a fluid accumulation (effusion), then Lasix could help even though this is not a heart problem. Otherwise, we'd likely find more benefit using a bronchodilator (ie Theophylline) to help open up the airways, steroids to reduce tumor size and therefore effect on airflow in the lungs, Guaifenesin to increase mucous clearance from the airway or a mucolytic (ie N-Acetylcysteine) to break down mucus in the airway. There could also be scope to use inhalational versions of these to break down mucus, open the airways, and keeping him breathing comfortably. So, Lasix could help if it was an effusion but otherwise we'd need to consider some of the above options.
Please take care & all the best for Cayenne,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet