Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I have a three week old puppy. She is a goldendoodle and her

Customer Question

I have a three week old puppy. She is a goldendoodle and her name is***** got her at eight weeks old the day after I got her I had her take her to the emergency because she was throwing up and I was worried. They gave her antibiotics and fluids. Took her home and she was fine the day after. This past Sunday however she woke up and she was throwing up her water or food and bile. I took her back to the emergency and they said she might have ingested something toxic. Her liver levels were at 1200. We have hospitalized her now for almost 3 days with with all the treatments her levels are now at 574. However she seems very lethargic still , has colitis and his passing green stool. Does she have a chance of making it? I'm scared I'm spending all this money and she won't make it. Also, with all the treatments her levels are now at 574. However she seems very lethargic still has colitis and his passing green stool. Does she have a chance of making it? Over the last month when she is active outside she starts coughing just a few times. Could it be related. The vet said this evening her kidney levels are slightly elevated. Normal white and red blood count. Everything else is normal except the liver and slight kidney levels. Also we have spent over 3k so far is that normal. She has had X-rays but not ultrasounds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I would like to assist with your question today. I am so sorry to hear about your puppy's illness.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
With liver levels as elevated as hers, toxin is certainly high on the differential list. The next likely are infection or a problem with her liver that she was born with. This can appear clinically at any time, but typically occurs when they are weaned off of their mother's milk and onto solid food (6 weeks of age). Because she is still young, assessing her for a congenital liver defect may be needed. To start, a test called bile acids is conducted. You will need to see if this has already been done. An ultrasound is also needed if the bile acid test is inconclusive. The liver panels that look at ALT, ALP, GGT, AST -- they do not tell us how well the liver is actually functioning. The bile acid test tells us the function level of the liver. Now, if your puppy is already jaundice (yellow skin or eyes), then this test is not done and an ultrasound would be needed. With the liver levels improving, it is important to stay with the current course of fluid therapy and antibiotics to flush the body and treat for a possible infection. It can take at least a week for things to return to normal, so it is good that there is some improvement after 3 days. As far as the cost that you mentioned -- every hospital is different, especially in different geographical areas. When I am located, 3000 would not be expected, but in a larger city, that cost is not uncommon, especially at an emergency facility and if diagnostics are also being completed.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Please review this and let me know what follow up questions you have.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Hi Katherine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlotte. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily