Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I live 30 miles from a vet. A rattlesnake bit our dog, I called

Customer Question

I live 30 miles from a vet. A rattlesnake bit our dog, I called the vet and they told me dogs don;t usually die. She was bitten on the very end of her nose at about ten this morning, It is swollen pretty big, but she is drinking water.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.Sorry to hear Kiki got bitten, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...Some dogs get in a bad way after a snake bite and will need intensive care such as drips etc. and of course this is best delivered by a vet, sad to say not all dogs pull through, but on the bright side not all dogs die, particularly large breeds However if getting a vet involved is not possible for any reason and in the absence of anti-venom the treatment can only consist of the following :1. Antihistamines such as benadryl if there is a gross allergic reaction such as swellings. Here is a link to Benadryl for dose rates etc. LINK2. A course of antibiotics is given for a week or so as tissue necrosis is likely at the bite site. If antibiotics are unavailable then wash the bite site with warm salt water twice a day and apply the likes of Neosporin to any necrotic areas which may develop. Eventually they will heal ....3. Supportive care, basically good nursing keeping him comfortable and eating and drinking as hopefully she makes her recovery.Here is a link which covers the subject of snake bite in the dog in more depth : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.