Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Boston Terriers have acquired odd looking growths on them

Customer Question

My Boston Terriers have acquired odd looking growths on them in the last six months. Doesn't seem to bother them but look like they may be a parasitic growth of some kind. Grows in different shapes like a fungus, no two alike. The first was on the tip of a nose, the second one on his head. None for awhile, and then my 15 year old had one on her side, and now another on her rectum. Today I found four small ones on the underside of a different BT. Another had one on his face which has disappeared. I have four Bostons. They remind me of a fungus growth you would find in the woods, are very soft, and mostly white in color. The largest was 1/2" high, width of a small knitting needle. Spongy like a mushroom. I removed one and it left a raw spot on the dogs skin, but there was no bleeding. Healed up quickly. My dogs are kept worm free (Panacur) and we haven't had fleas for approx. 5 years with no flea prevention used. They seem to grow out of the dogs skin, very much attached.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I suspect that you're seeing the common sebaceous gland tumors - nodular sebaceous hyperplasia, sebaceous epitheliomas, and sebaceous adenomas - common in older dogs. They're usually solitary, firm, elevated, wartlike or cauliflower-like growths that range from a few millimeters to several centimeters in diameter. They occur mostly on the trunk, legs, head, and eyelids in dogs.
Can you upload photos of some to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.