Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

What do i do to get a fpur month old puppy to not to poop

Customer Question

what do i do to get a fpur month old puppy to not to poop and peeing in the hpuse
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your puppy. I'm so sorry you're having this difficult and frustrating problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
Even though this can be an extremely frustrating situation, I've got good news for you. There are a multitude of resources available that you can read to learn how to successfully house train your puppy.
There are also a lot of different methods, so you can choose one that seems most suited to you in your unique situation.
After counseling many puppy owners over the more than twenty years I've been a veterinarian, I am convinced the best method is "crate training." This method capitalizes on a puppy's natural instinct to avoid soiling his bed. I'll attach more detailed information below, but the basic premise is this:
1. Get a crate (dog kennel carrier) that is only large enough for your puppy to stand up, turn around, and lie down in.
2. Keep your puppy in this crate AT ALL TIMES when you are not actively engaged in playing directly with the puppy to such an extent that going to the bathroom in the house simply isn't an option because you're watching him too closely.
3. Every time you take him out of the crate or put him back, take him outside and give the option to go. Praise him if he does.
4. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
5. If you are busy playing with him in the house and he starts to look like he wants to find a place to go to the bathroom, tell him NO!, pick him up and carry him outside and give him a chance to go outside. Praise him if he does.
Please note this is not to say your puppy has to spend a lot of time in the crate, and it is not cruel. Take him out of the crate as much as you can, but YOU MUST WATCH HIM closely enough to prevent accidents before they happen, or at least interrupt him as described in Step 5 above.
Please also understand the crate is a happy place and crate training is not cruel. That being said, there are still no short cuts and no excuses.
And, as a final note, please understand that in your situation you can expect this to be more difficult that it would be if he had been successfully crate trained earlier. I say this because a 4-month-old who is going to the bathroom in the house has essentially been trained (however inadvertently) to actually GO to the bathroom in the house by way of poor technique by an inexperienced owner. It takes longer to undo the training the puppy gave itself.
I'll attach more information below, but that's the best plan.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Here's a good article on crate training and housebreaking a dog no matter the age...
http://dogtime.com/crate-training-housebreaking-easy-hsus.html
Here's a nice video on crate training...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWR275LHio
Here are some helpful Dos and Don'ts on housebreaking...
http://www.cesarsway.com/dog-care/housebreaking/Housebreaking
On crate training in general:
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/crate_training.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/
Please rest assured I am here to help.
You may still reply when you return online. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.