Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I'm worried about my dog! I went to let them out of kennel

Customer Question

Hi I'm worried about my dog! I went to let them out of kennel and seen blood either from one end or the other! When I let them out they were all actino normal as usual! No signs of which one may have an issue! Never seen so much blood! Are their signs I can look for to find do out which one needs to be taken to vet or possibly emergency! Thank please help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Are they behaving any different?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They all are behaving regularly! I just went to check on them again!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, if Cash's bottom is swollen this suggest he has been licking the area. Very likely the blood you saw came from his rectum; he licked it off. When we see bloody stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). Possible causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. I would have him checked by family veterinarian in the meantime this is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- Follow up with family veterinarian.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter