Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog has a lung tumor and is coughing She is going down

Customer Question

Hi. My dog has a lung tumor and is coughing She is going down hill fast coughing blood. We think she only has a few days left (60 lb boxer) The vet prescribed a codeine or morphine based cough tablet. My dog is coughing really bad now and I am not able to get to the pharmacy. I have IC IOPHEN-C Can I give this for now and how much? He said we might get another day out of her with the cough medicine. Thanks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm so sorry that your dog is deteriorating so rapidly; I know this must be very distressing for you and your family:(

This particular combination of drugs is not one which is commonly given to dogs but the separate ingredients (codeine and Guaifenesin) are often prescribed. Therefore, I don't see why this drug couldn't be given to a canine patient.

The dose of Codeine if used alone would be 1/2-1 mgs per pound of body weight every 6-12 hours which means the dose for a 60 lb dog would be 30-60 mgs at one time.
The dose of Guaifenesin would be 0.25 to 1 mg/lb or 25-60 mgs at one time.
I'd dose for codeine.

I should point out that it would be illegal for me to advise the use of a drug which was prescribed for a human but I can provide the dosage amount of these drugs which is what I have done.

I hope this helps although I'm sorry that you both are having to go through this. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is a liquid and my measuring cup is in ml. Can you tell me the dosage for that? I understand that you are not advising me to use this drug. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

You're more than welcome.

I'll need to know the concentration of the liquid you have to determine a dosage (which should be indicated on the label). In other words, how many milligrams are in one ml?

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The liquid is called IC IOPHEN-C NR Liquid. It's supposed to be robitussin and codeine and the human dosage is 1-2 teaspoons.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out a dosage without knowing how many milligrams of codeine are in 1 ml or 1 teaspoon.

When I look up this drug, it appears there are different concentrations which will be important to know in determining the dosage.

Look for something like:

200mg/5 mL or 100 mg/5 mL or 225 mg/5 mL

Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb