Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I adopted a 1 yr old anatolian shepherd from a shelter 3 days ago. She eats and drinks wel

Customer Question

I adopted a 1 yr old anatolian shepherd from a shelter 3 days ago. She eats and drinks well, but is very subdued and has bouts of gagging and acting as if she will vomit, but she doesnt. Last night about 3 am she did this for about 5 mins straight. Advice? She is gentle and sweet, and is sleeping a lot.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear your new adoptee is worrying you. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Could she be coughing, rather than vomiting? The two can look very similar but with coughing, nothing is brought up. It is fairly common for a dog from a shelter to cough, from "kennel cough".
If this is gagging, she may have inflammation in her throat or the back of her mouth
If I could, I would take her temperature, feel her lymph nodes, and look in her mouth at her tonsils and back of her mouth and opening of her throat. I would gently but firmly squeeze her windpipe halfway down her throat to see if that makes her cough or gag. If it does, I would suspect kennel cough and would start her on doxycyline.
Do you have a vet exam that comes with adopting her? Or is there a vet at the shelter where you adopted her that could look at her?
Let me know what else I can answer. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?