Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My mini dash ounces went down the steps yelped and now wound

Customer Question

My mini dash ounces went down the steps yelped and now wound use his right leg at all but does not yelp when I do range of motion.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry you are worried about Zeus. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Did the aspirin seem to help? How much did you give him?
Doing ROM shows that his joints are not injured, and that he probably did not break anything. Did you do ROM In all of the joints of the foot? He might have broken or sprained a toe.
If he injured a nerve or ligament or tendon, you might not find that unless you push pretty firmly over the specific site. Some dogs are just stoic, and won't react or cry out even when you hit the injured area.
If he won't use the leg at all, something is injured or painful (obviously). If it is a nerve that was injured, it could be in his neck or spine. If the aspirin doesn't help, and I would like to know what dose you gave, I would next consider pain medication like Tramadol or Gabapentin and taking an Xray.
Let me know what else I can answer.