Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog, neutered male about 8 yrs old, is panting a lot, drooling, dri

Customer Question

My dog, neutered male about 8 yrs old, is panting a lot, drooling, drinking a lot of water and his sides and belly are stiff, like pulled muscles
he ate normally and we went on a walk this afternoon - he was panting a lot on the walk which I commented to my daughter seemed unusual, but it was a warm day and he didn't act lethargic on the walk at all.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Frank is very healthy normally. We just acquired a rescue Chihuahua on Friday night and have been working with her on training, so Frank has been eating pupperoni training treats- less often than the new dog - but he never has had treats like that in the past. Could a handful of these treats over the course of 56 hours or so cause pancreatitis if he usually has healthy cookies like no grain pumpkin salmon or chicken and apple? He typically eats a cup of dry cannidae in the morning and another at night. He has also been getting about a half of a 3.5 tub of ceasar dog food in his dry food since Friday.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
Has he had any vomiting?
Is he eating normally? Can he keep that water down?
Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Does he seem to be very distended of bloated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - thanks for responding, after a sleepless night I am at work and my daughter and dog are at the vet this morning. Frank seems better this morning, the heavy panting has subsided but he is still not himself. We thought it would be better to take him in now that the vet is open. Thanks again
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome,
I am glad to hear that he is feeling better & under his vet's care.
Since we were not able to aid you when you posted your question, I will refer you back to customer service.
Best wishes for Frank,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your help -