Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I adopted a female Chihuahua & her 5 puppies from a friend

Customer Question

I adopted a female Chihuahua & her 5 puppies from a friend .. the puppies are 7 weeks old & I have not had them outdoors but in my home in a large pet kennel .. I was going to give them their first set of shots but I noticed that two of them are pooping a little runny mucus looking poop & if I try to give them water they throw up ?? Please help & I hope this isn't parvo :'( the puppies seem to be getting worse.. just laying around.. poor babies !!

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You're correct to consider parvo which is evidenced by a rapid decline. Vomiting and diarrhea are accompanied by severe depression and hypothermia - the body temperature often drops to 99F. If parvo is present, more pups are likely to have become symptomatic since you posted.
The best scenario, however, is that their symptoms at this time are due to gastrointestinal parasitism instead. Ideally, the pups should be examined by a vet. Testing for parvo can be done in the exam room. If parvo isn't diagnosed, the pups can be wormed and those losing fluid and electrolytes in their vomitus and diarrhea can be given supplemental fluids in the form of subcutaneous solutions.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.